The establishment of the Polish Club at Bankstown was the initiative of Polish priest Edmund Gagajek in 1959, who formed a committee and new organisation called Tadeusz Kosciuszko Cooperative.
After the Second World War, there was a wave of Polish immigrants that arrived in Australia who settled in the Sydney suburbs of Chullora and Bankstown. In 1959, the committee purchased the land on which the current site of the Bankstown Polish Club sits on in the centre of Bankstown.
Throughout the first few years of the committee, it concentrated on organising various community functions in order to raise funds for a deposit to apply for a bank loan so they can start building the Polish Club. The main source of monies raised was from dance parties organised in St. Felix Hall at Bankstown and private donations.
In 1970, the co-op committee decided to register a second organisation under the name of Bankstown Polish Club in order to receive a liquor license. Combined with the $60,000 the committee had raised, they received a loan for $60,000 and on the 26th Feb 1972 the first slab of concrete was laid and the construction of the Bankstown Polish Club started.
In February 1973, on a visit to Australia, Cardinal Karol Wojtyla came to Bankstown and blessed the newly finished Bankstown Polish Club.
The Bankstown Polish Club was officially opened on 24 Feb 1974.
Over the past 40 years, the Bankstown Polish Club has played a very important role in keeping the Polish culture and customs alive for Polish migrants. Today, it plays important role for the new generation of Australians of Polish decent and Polish people living in Australia.